Horses and cabinets and Christmas trees - Oh My!

Things have been super busy for the Sommers Family lately. Of course, the house is taking up most of our time. We are in the home stretch. Ha ha. Last Friday Mike gave notice to the land lord of our rental and also at his office that both places would be open as of January 1. I'm honestly still not sure how Mike plans to make this happen. We have things scheduled to be installed into the week of Christmas. After that we'll need to pass final inspection, and move out completely so I can do a final cleaning at our rental. To say I feel overwhelmed at this moment would be an understatement. But, Mike thinks it can be done. I'm trying really hard to believe him. My mantra is, "it will all be over in January." At least there's an end date. Getting there will be a blur and I probably won't update this blog for a few weeks. Then I'm sure there will be quite a few pictures to share.

Here is a picture of the kids a couple weeks ago in front of the lower wall cabinets in the kitchen. The rest of the cabinets are in now and we are waiting on the counter tops we ordered last week.

This is a picture of the kids in the dinette. This wainscoting treatment was something Mike did in our last house for us and I requested in for the dinette here, too. Walking in and seeing this (it will all be painted white, with color on the wall above) was the moment that this place felt like home to me. It was hard to leave that day. Because our first floor is so open, it was hard to find a good stopping point for the wainscoting. It carries over to the half-walls and up the stairs. *Love* I also can't wait to look at this picture years from now and see how the kids grow in comparison to the trim. 

 This picture is the kids just this past Sunday in front of the railing this is almost completely installed. Phew! That stair way made me so nervous! The room way at the top of the steps behind them is the play room - what Mike calls the "telescope room". It started out as a joke and made it's way onto the drawings, so it's now what everyone calls this room. It is the highest room in the house and will have great views of the sky. But, we don't actually have a telescope. Ha!

 Another big development has nothing to do with the house. And to be honest, it's kind of refreshing. Sydney had been begging for horse riding lessons for a while. My aunt works at a barn in town, so she recommended a great instructor. There are several ponies at this barn which are a much more fitting animal for Sydney to learn on. Before Sydney can get on the pony she has to walk it out of its stall, brush it and put on the blankets and saddle, etc. She does this, does the reverse when she's done (obviously with help from the instructor) and willingly helps sweep and clean up. To say we have found something that fits Sydney is an understatement. My flitty-flighty butterfly has found something to land on. Even the instructor said she's doing well and being very responsible - which she doesn't see in the kids who aren't really into the horses beyond the princess fairy-tale dreams. On top of all this I see something in Sydney when I watch her ride. This girl who's brain is never where her body is now has to have some serious focus to get the pony to go where it's supposed to go. This is the girl we had already planned on not allowing her to get her driver's license at 16 because of her flightiness. This pony is helping Sydney learn to focus. She's helping Sydney learn to be in the moment and to be aware. And Sydney doesn't stop smiling for hours after her lessons. What a blessing!



 And the start of Christmas Concerts brings in the holiday season. Sydney and Jared's concert was last Friday. It's always so adorable to hear those kindergarteners through second graders singing Christmas songs. The kids are so excited, too, to share what they have learned with their families.

Sydney's friend from church, Maddy, started attending school with Sydney this year and Sydney couldn't be more excited! After talking with Maddy's mom, I've also found out that they were born days apart and only ounces apart! They have almost the same beginning! If you remember Sydney's story, you know how amazing that is!

 Corban even had the roll of usher, collecting the offering part way through the program. He felt so grown up. Aren't they adorable?!


Comments

  1. So happy for you on all fronts! I love that Sydney has found something to ground her and your home is just gorgeous! Not sure I'd survive such an ambitious plan as laid out by the hubby, but you're amazing and I know it will come off smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patiently waiting for more house pictures....ahem....get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi, I was just thinking about this yesterday. I only found my camera a couple days ago and I have hardly sat down since we moved - there is still quite a bit to do! Two of the counter tops just got installed this week. Thankfully they weren't main ones. Anyhow, I will try to get some pictures of what is done (or not done!) and give an update. I am also planning on creating a Pinterest board with the paint colors we used and probably some actual pictures of the house. I'll share that on the blog when I do it also. Happy Belated Birthday, by the way! I hope this year is a fun one for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment