Playing with Fire

I always say she's my boy. Honestly, I can take the boys anywhere, I know how to discipline them, etc, but Sydney is my enigma. She could not be more opposite the person I am (which I love and admire about her) so I struggle to understand and parent her properly.
Anyhow. She is just that kid. She has to learn by doing. She is curious. And she has always been destructive. But not in a hateful, vindictive way. It's just what she does. I have at times, since she was very young, had to take all her books away (or other toys) because she would destroy them. When something is missing or broken everyone in the house now automatically looks to Sydney. And, I'm not sure if she cares. She's like a butterfly that flits here and there and has no idea what's going on around her and how her actions affect others. Life is good and perfect for Sydney Sommers. She is oblivious. And, I honestly adore this about here. But, oh, to be her mom. It's exhausting.
So, last night I had been working in our office right off of the living room. Mike and Corban were at basketball practice so I was letting Syd and Jared watch some TV. They had been good all evening. Then I hear Sydney say, "I'm going to take these books up to my room to keep them safe." I knew that was odd. I turned around and she was going up the steps with her back to me and I could tell she was carrying something.
You see, a couple days ago Sydney's teacher (Mrs. C) sent some little beginner readers home because Sydney has been starting to read. I almost told the teacher not to b/c I was worried the books would get destroyed. So, I have been very careful that when Syd is done reading they go back on the counter where I can keep an eye on them. But, I am trying really hard not to be so jumpy about Sydney and her ways. I don't want her to ever feel like we think she is "bad". So when she said this, my gut said to go check what she was doing but my brain said to let her be and show her I trust her.
Well. A few minutes later I smelled smoke. I often burn a candle on the stove after dinner b/c I hate smelling dinner when we are done eating. The kids have never messed w/ it or shown any interest. I blew out the candle and could smell it's scent but I kept smelling something else. Then I saw the ash on the counter and remembered Sydney's odd behavior. I screamed for her to get me the books. Usually she hides when she can tell we are upset but thankfully last night I think she realized the critical-ness of the situation and we ran to her room together and she pulled still smouldering books out from under her bed!!!! I about died.
Long and short of it is everything is ok. She got in extra trouble b/c apparently the last few days when she "cleaned up" things just got stuffed under her bed. So, not only were these books under a bed w/ sheets and that fluff that is under mattresses, there were tons of stuffed animals and dress up clothes there, too. Somehow, Sydney did not get burned, nothing besides the books got burned and miraculously not even the carpet was singed.
I however, lost 10 years off my life, minimum.
We went to preschool early so Sydney could apologize to Mrs. C. I think (I HOPE) this was an 'easy' lesson learned. Oh my.

Comments