First Day of First Grade

Corban started back at school this week! He was so excited. Actually, our conversation went something like this:
Corban: Mom, I really love you guys and I like it here, but, well, I'm also really happy to be with my friends.
Me: That is great, Corban! This is your home, your safe place and we love you! But, now is your time to find out who you are, to become yourself and take ownership in that.
Oh, the relief on his face. I think he was almost feeling disloyal, looking forward to school. He was pleased to have 'permission' to want to leave home and find his own purpose and enjoyment and I was so happy to know that he was looking forward to school.
It gave me a much more peaceful day after I dropped him off this year. Our little guy is growing up! And I couldn't be happier for him.
Don't you love his pose he struck for his first-day-of-school pictures? My stoic little baby really is gaining some sense of self and having fun while doing it.

Corban made it to class with his friend Grant. What a great way to start the year!

Comments