I have a tag!

If your name is Jared, this is good news! Let me explain: For as far back as we can remember Jared has had two "lovies". One is a little square blanket my friend Starla gave to each of my kids when they were born and the other is a puppy that Jared has called "Woofy" ever since he could talk. It wasn't long before we notice that Jared seemed to love the tag at the tail end of Woofy almost more than anything. It is what he looked for when he cried and needed comforted. We also noticed that Jared would often sleep with his hands behind his head, which is just so cute. He always looked so relaxed! Well, these things combined must have gotten us to where we are today: A little boy who is completely obsessed with the tags on his shirt. At some point when he was probably trying to settle himself in for the night and getting comfortable with his hands behind his head he must have found the tag on the back of his shirt and realized how convenient this is! Now, whenever we help him change clothes he is always sure to point out where his tag is. When it's at the back of his neck he is one delighted boy! However, you may have noticed that most clothes are no longer made with tags in the back. I can only assume this is because *most* children get completely annoyed by the tags rubbing their necks. This was, for a little while, quite the dilemma for Jared. However, he is one resourceful little boy and he quickly discovered that when there is no tag at the neck of a shirt there will almost definitely be a tag on the side seem! The day he showed me this with such excitement I about fell over. That's when I knew this had moved from "cute" to "obsession"! But, honestly, it's still mostly really cute. I love that my boy who does not handle adversity really well (he's the baby who would push things until he ran into a wall and then stand there and cry because he didn't want to figure out how to fix it himself) has figured out a way to self-sooth. And now, as soon as things start not going Jared's way, you will see him reach right back for that tag. So handy!
Here he is comforting himself:

I asked him to show me his tag and he gladly obliged



Comments

  1. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
    Kiley is so completely obsessed with tags!! My aunt Phyllis just made her a tag blankie!!! She will even pull her hat off in the van so she can rub the tag on her face!! A tag goes hand in hand with her nippy!!! One day I realized that her obsession had increased when I saw her walking around with a pair of Addison's pj pants rubbing the tag on her face!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment