Good-night, TJ

This weekend Mike and I said good-bye to T.J. Sommers. He was Mike's cousin, friend, and truly, a brother in Christ.

He passed away from an injury he sustained while doing his favorite thing: Playing softball.

There really aren't words to explain this or even try to understand this. We are all trusting in God right now.

What is obvious is tomorrow is not a promise. Christ called us to follow him so he could give us eternal life with him. This is how T.J. lived. Our whole community is so devastated by this loss because T.J. really did touch every one he came in contact with. All they had to do was watch how he lived his life - to honor God, but also, always, with a smile or a smirk. He had fun doing it. He had a joy. We know where he is today. As his sister Shana said, "This won't be good-bye. It will be good night because we will see T.J. again."

And his blessing goes on: T.J. was an organ donor. A young, very healthy man was able this weekend to extend the gift of life beyond his own. He gave his life so others may live, just like Jesus.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining on toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. For, as I have often told you before and now say again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.
~Philippians 3:12-21

Comments

  1. Cheryl- I was hoping no one would be offended or hurt if I put something up before the fam. I just can't get over all of this- But I do know that God is still in control and has a plan for all of this. Praying for your family as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is in my prayers!

    What a witness TJ's life was....and still is... as you all share about him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment