The Things They Say Part 1

A few nights ago Mike was giving the kids a bath while I was busy cleaning up and picking out pj's and clothes for the next day. I was in and out of the room so I got to hear bits and pieces of the conversations. I still find myself having to do a lot of translating of what Sydney and Jared tell Mike. It's kind of funny because I have noticed that if he can't understand them, he seems to think they really aren't saying anything and will just ignore him. After the fifth time or so, I will say, "Mike, did you know they are trying to tell you...?" And he'll be shocked! :) Lately, however, he will call me in and say, "I need a translation."

Well, this happened the other night. I was actually in the bathroom at the time, getting their towels ready, and I heard Sydney telling Mike that she had an owie. If you have kids, especially ones addicted to Band Aids, you know that owies (mostly very minor) are a daily occurrence. Mike just couldn't figure out what she was saying and I will admit it probably wasn't a body part he was expecting her to talk about. Sydney was telling Mike, "I have an owie on my elbow pit!" Ahh, I still laugh thinking about it! I guess I have learned to think a bit like a 3 year old in the last few years because this made perfect sense to me! She was letting Mike know she had an owie in the crook of her arm, on the inside of where her elbow is. I suppose since she knows we have arm pits, that in her 3-year-old logic, these are called elbow pits! My friend Jamie, who is a nurse, informed me that there is indeed an actual name for this part of the body, but considering even the nurses shorten it to two initials I have already forgotten. Oh well, 'elbow pits' will work just fine around here!

Comments

  1. haha thats awesome! Duh, of course its called an elbow pit!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment