Weekend Getaway

With the busy-ness of life and so much change happening or soon to happen, we never planned a vacation this year. I’m not much of a traveler, so I didn’t mind too much (not to mention how much harder it is to travel with little people along!), but we still wanted this summer to have some fun things for the kids. So, about two weeks ago we asked some friends of ours, Jessica and Joe, if they’d like to go away for a weekend with us. Their son, Dylan, is Corban’s age and their daughter, Lauren, is Sydney’s age. We decided to spend last weekend in Columbus and stay at Fort Rapids, an indoor water park. It was so much fun! I think the kids are still recovering. We packed a lot into our weekend!

 

We left Friday morning (Jessica and Joey came down Friday evening) and stopped at COSI, a science museum, before we went to the hotel. I had never been there before and it was a blast! I had no idea you could pack that much fun (and learning!) into one giant building! It’s definitely a must-visit place!

DSC_0001

We could have spent days there, wandering from exhibit to exhibit. The kids had no idea they were learning all about the world around them. I loved watching them get excited at every corner! I had a very hard time narrowing down pictures to share!

DSC_0005

At one point, in the area called Progress which detailed life between 1898 and 1962 I was showing Sydney one of the old rotary dial phones. I thought she would be shocked about either the chord or the fact that you didn’t press buttons but had to scroll around to dial the number. No. My girl was shocked to pick up the phone and hear noise! I didn’t even think about it, so I listened and sure enough, it was a dial tone! She has never heard that sound since we have only used cell phones since she was too young to use a phone! What a reminder at how quickly technology changes things and how times change. As you can tell, they were also very excited about the phone booth!

DSC_0009

Sydney using all her muscle. I know it’s a surprise, but apparently she does have some! Smile

DSC_0044

Also Sydney. In the gift shop being “Sydney”.

DSC_0045

I realized when I got home that we have no pictures of the water park! I suppose that was because I didn’t want to get my camera wet. Smile You’ll just have to believe me when I say we spent pretty much all of Saturday sopping wet by our own choice. It was a lot of fun – more so to see the kids having so much fun. And I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they did. Sydney ran off quite a few times, but she never did anything she shouldn’t and they handled all the water, slides and other people around them really well. Since I’m always so uptight and overprotective, this was a really good thing for me to see.

Then on Sunday we went to the Ohio State Fair. The kids were spent by this point and we only stayed a few hours (much to Mike’s chagrin, since for some reason he believed we were going to be there all day in the 90 degree heat with tired kids). However, we got in some rides, fair food, and wandered many of the booths. The kids even got to practice milking a (fake) cow! Ha!

DSC_0053

Sydney and Lauren had tons of fun together on the roller coaster! Aren’t they cute?!

DSC_0054

Corban was excited to see the Lego display! They all got to build the new hot Lego toy Ninjago and compete with other Ninjagos!

DSC_0102

Comments