Student of the Month!

Tuesday morning, after having one of those crazy, run around, can't keep up types of mornings I got a phone call. And not just any phone call. It was a phone call from Corban's principal. Instantly a mom's heart freezes up wondering what could warrant a call from the principal. Well this call is one I'll remember for a long time because she called with good news: Corban had been nominated and chosen for Student of the Month! We were invited to come during Chapel on Friday morning when he would be given his award. And it was going to be a surprise! So, needless to say, Mike and I have been giddy ever since, whispering, trying to keep Corban from hearing. Or any of the kids for that matter or it would no longer be a secret! As I was trying to get the kids up and going this morning I told them, "It's going to be a great day!" and Corban, of course, asked what was so great about today. "It's Friday!!!" I told him. He wasn't amused. So, off to school we went. As soon as Corban was out of the car and the door was closed I let Sydney and Jared in on the surprise and we went to pick Mike up and come back to school. When we got there Corban's class was already sitting in the front of the room they use for Chapel so we slipped in the back. But, it wasn't long before we were spotted by some of Corban's friends who quickly pointed us out to him. He turned around and at first smiled and then stopped. Poor kid. I think he was so surprised to see us that he was a little worried what it might be about.


When Mrs. Roberts announced who the boy Student of the Month is, she said they don't too often give them out to Kindergartners!
Corban went up and accepted his award and shook her hand. Then Mrs. Roberts asked us to stand up in the back to show our support for Corban. He was so embarrassed, poor boy! I can understand not enjoying being the center of attention, and Corban is so like me. When his teacher told him he could come sit with us he decided to sit with his friends. Knowing him I think he was too shy to walk in front of everyone to the back of the room, which made me a little sad, but I am also so happy that he has friends he likes to be with, too.
When Corban's teacher submitted his nomination for Student of the Month she wrote:
"Corban is an excellent student! He always does his VERY best for Jesus. He is respectful to his teachers and classmates. Pleasing Jesus is very important to him. He is obedient to rules and instructions. Corban is a blessing to have in class."
You know, I have always been so thankful to be a mom, and especially for the children God has given me. I always say God knew exactly what He was doing when He gave me each one - in fact most days I hardly feel worthy to be their mom. But today was such a special day. It affirmed that others see in Corban the things that Mike and I see in him. We are so thankful that he got recognized for this and hopefully this encouragement will last a long time in his heart.



Comments

  1. How awesome!! Brendan mentioned that he was picked a couple days ago. Yay Corban! and you and Mike :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This so awesome Cheryl! You must be so proud of him. You are such a good mom. To know that other people see Jesus in him, it doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment