Saying "Good-bye" to Grandma

Yesterday the nursing home where my Grandma has been for the last year and a half called my mom and said she might want to come over and be with Grandma because she wasn't doing too well. I wasn't able to get there until after 11:00, but I stayed until Mom and her cousin Bill left shortly after 2:00 am. Grandma was holding on and fighting away. She was doing it her way. After all, what other way is there? :) This morning at about 6:45 the nursing home called my mom again and said that Grandma had taken a turn for the worse and by the time mom got there, not more than 15 minutes later, Grandma was gone. Really, I'd like to say something witty or encouraging but I'm not there yet. Grandma has been suffering from dementia and Alzheimer's for a while so it is a bit of a relief to know she's not hurting or confused any more. But she had a very large personality. Not in the loud, in-your-face type of way. But in a very traditional, this-is-how-it-is type of way. So she will leave a giant hole behind. In a way, we knew this was coming, but really, it happened so fast. We definitely weren't expecting it now. So now we figure out how to move on. How to honor her memory. And how to cling tight to our Savior who took her home.
When Sydney was almost 2, I believe, we took Grandma to get a four generations picture taken. It was already obvious that the world around her was starting to overwhelm and confuse her, but we could tell she had a great time that night. We all got dressed up and had our picture taken (doesn't she look so happy?!) and then we took her to Longhorn. I think she was pleased that night. I am so thankful to have those great memories and not have let those times slip through our fingers.
Here is a picture I found of Grandma and Grandpa holding me on my first birthday - it was also Easter. I am extremely blessed to have had the grandparents and parents that I have.
It is written: "I believed; therefore I have spoken." With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you in his presence. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. ~2 Corinthians 4:13-18

I love you Grandma! In the blink of your eye I'll be joining you at the wedding feast with our Savior!


Comments

  1. What a nice post! Thank you for your kind words, I have fond memories of your grandma over the years, your wedding, baby showers and birthday get togethers. The verse you posted touched me, and reminds me of my grandma whom I miss dearly! Love you always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, I am just now learning this! I am sorry to be so late in hearing that your grandma passed away. I will have to agree with Andrea on everything she said including missing our grandma. It's so wonderful though to think of where they are now! Love you Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment