I met a girl who met Jesus

It sounds funny to me to put that as my title since I have also met Jesus. In fact, I talk to and walk with Him every day. And some days He even carries me!

But today I want to tell you about Raiya. I don't think my words will do justice to her story and I have been searching and praying for the right words to share with you since I met her on Saturday. I have decided to just tell you what I saw and heard and do my best to share her story, but it will be nothing like it is to actually hear her tell it and see her face as she shares.

I had planned to go out with my friend Christa on Saturday night. As we were making plans she let me know that some missionaries with Youth With a Mission (YWAM) were staying at her parents house and that two of the girls were also going to go out with us. We also met up with Christa's cousin, Janelle, and one of her friends, Brianna. The two girls that Christa brought along were Raiya and Ruth. Raiya is travelling with Ruth's family; they are based out of the YWAM base in Hawaii.

Christa had given me a very quick background on both of them, so I already knew that Raiya had an amazing story to share. After dinner at a Middle Eastern restaurant we went over to Starbucks for some coffee and more time to chat. I wanted to hear Raiya's story (everyone else had already heard it), so we all settled in around a couple small tables with our hot drinks ready to hear what Raiya had to say.

Raiya is from Tajikistan. She is 28 years old and did a lot of growing up in the 90's when her country was going through a war. She saw terrible, sad things that no child should have to see. Her family put her in karate to learn self defense and she loved it. Her family was Muslim but her karate instructor gave her a children's Bible which she loved because of the pictures. Then she took Tai Kwon Do from an instructor who was a Christian missionary. She had been praying all her life but felt like she wasn't connecting with God. Suddenly, she felt the love of Jesus Christ begin to fill her heart and she knew her prayers were being answered. One day in 2000 while she was at church 4 bombs went off that had been planted by terrorists. She had no idea that the box she was leaning against contained one of the bombs. And Raiya died.

She said that immediately she was in heaven face to face with Jesus Christ. She fell on her face to worship Him. And he told her that he was going to give her a choice: She could stay there with Him or come back to earth. Raiya says that she knows that Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End and she knew that while she was here she lived a selfish life and the plans that Jesus had for her were not finished yet so she chose to come back. Stunning. She will tell you, however, that if she ever gets the chance again she will not choose to come back. Her description of heaven is amazing and of course she felt no pain or sadness. And she said that Jesus is so easy to talk to. As soon as her spirit went back to her body she felt the pain again. Doctors told Raiya and her family that she would never see or hear again and would have much damage all over her body as a result of the bomb. However, Jesus has healed her completely. There are no scares, nothing to tell you what she has been through when you look at her other than one scare on her head, burried under her hair. Her testimony is amazing. Scripture drips from her tongue because she has lived it, believes it fully and lives her entire life for Jesus Christ. Once she was done recovering she knew she wanted to go to school and knew that Jesus was telling her to come to America and learn at a Christian Bible college. She had heard of YWAM in Hawaii and through the help of many friends and strangers, and even what she can only describe as an angel she eventually made it to the base there. Now she gets to travel all over the world and tell people about Jesus Christ who died on the cross to pay for our sins so we could join Him in heaven. She knows this because she has lived it. And danced with Him as his bride.

I don't think God does a single thing haphazard or unplanned. He was sure grinning as we sat down at those tables all ready to hear Raiya tell her story. Just as she got started a boy came over to our table and pulled up a chair. All 6 of us girls turned to look at him, quite surprised I'm sure. He leaned in and said, "I'm getting paid $10 to do this." Hmmm. I have a feeling a lot more than $10 was going here; God's timing is something that I will never understand but I have learned that it is better than any time table I have planned out myself. We told the boy to go ahead and sit, God had a story He wanted him to hear! And sit and listen the boy did. And since he stayed his buddies all came over and heard the story too! Isn't that just like God?! He doesn't waste a single moment or a single word! Those boys had an appointment at Starbucks that night they knew nothing about. But God knew. And He knew what my heart has been longing to hear for a while, too, even though I had no idea.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. ~ Isaiah 55:8-11

And remember what Raiya said, "Jesus is so easy to talk to." In fact, He's waiting right now.

Comments

  1. Oh my, Cheryl...I have goosebumps from reading this..What an awesome story! God is SO good and Im sure all those boys were placed in that starbucks at the same time that you guys were there...God works in mysterious ways and is SO good to us...even when we dont deserve it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! WOW! WOW! That is all I can say! I am so glad I took the time to read this post today. What an amazing testimony! I will be praying for Raiya as she continues to share God's love. I will also pray for the group of boys who sat down to listen! WOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment