Mike and I went clubbing in Cleveland last night...

Well, not really. Two of Mike's Florida cousins, Mike (yes, another Mike. It can get really confusing because his dad is Mike Sommers also) and Josh Sommers were in Cleveland on tour with their band Burden of a Day. We have never had a chance to see them play before and it worked out with our baby-sitters that we were able to go up and spend the evening with them at Peabody's Down Under. I have to say that I was about as far out of my comfort zone as you can get. With all due respect to Mike and Josh and their band mates, this isn't my typical type of music. They understood, though.
They are a Christian group. In fact, they were the only Christian group in the whole set of bands that tour and play together. (My) Mike informed me that this type of music is called screamo and yes, it does sound a lot like you think it might with that name. :) A lot of screaming and very loud music. But I have to say we really, really enjoyed ourselves. I am so thankful we had the chance to see and hear them play and get a glimpse at the way they live many weeks and months out of the year. I also found it interesting to see all the younger people there. It totally made Mike and I feel old to realize we were easily 10 years older than many of the other people there and even many of the other band members. I help teach Sunday school to a small group of Jr. high girls and I kept finding myself thinking of some of my girls who would like this music and I loved the fact that there are Christian artists out there who do play this type of music to fill that need. Honestly, I just thought it was all so cool.

Here are Mike, Lizzy and Finley (Mike's wife and daughter) and Josh after their set. Fin hadn't had a nap yet so she didn't want to pose. She's absolutely adorable, I promise! This morning we met them at the Hartville Marketplace for breakfast. Finley is on the far left. See? She's adorable! We had a lot of fun visiting and catching up just a bit. It's tough having so much wonderful family live so far away, but I think it makes the time you do get to spend together all the more fun! Thanks guys for the music and visit!
On our way to the Marketplace this morning we saw a teenager trying to cross the street and he was wearing a t-shirt from one of the bands last night! That was a really random, really neat thing, too. We told Mike and Josh and they were pretty excited to hear that, too.

I hope that I have learned from this to make more choices that involve getting out of what makes me feel comfortable and what is easy and start trying new things. It would definitely be good for me, probably good for everyone.

Comments