So, just how do you "accidentally" delete a blog?

I'm sure you're wondering. It's a little embarrassing, actually. In retrospect, it should have been very obvious to me and I know now exactly what I did. At the time, though, I didn't have a clue. So, I've decided to share my folly so none of my friends accidentally make the same mistake I did.

First, let me give a little bit of back story. A while ago one of my friends mentioned just how much time they waisted on their new iGoogle home page. Curious, I had to check it out. I can now say that I have joined her rank in time-waisting on my iGoogle home page. I just *love* the New York Time Crossword on my Games tab. So, I set up my own little Google account for that.

Some time later I decided to start our blog. That also required a Google account and since the other one was linked to our spam e-mail address I started a new account so I could get updates through the e-mail I check daily.

Recently it has become obvious that I will be getting rid of my current e-mail address because it is tied to our Internet provider and we are planning on a switch. So, I got the brilliant idea to open a gmail account. Well, I wanted this account to have nothing to do with my current (soon to be previous) e-mail account, but no matter what settings I tried they were completely attached. Even when I sent e-mail from the gmail account it said it was being sent on behalf of my other e-mail account! So, what did I do? I deleted this "new" account!!! Well, what apparently happened was when I started creating my gmail account I was signed in under my account that our blog is tied to and all the information was shared. So, when I deleted what I thought was my new account, I entirely deleted the account that my blog was also set up through. There was a part where I had to check off boxes acknowledging that I would no longer have access to certain things associated with my account and, thinking back, it had to have said my blog but I honestly don't remember that. So, the moral of the story is, be very, very careful managing and deleting all blogger/gmail/Google/iGoogle accounts.

I have searched and there seem to be some ways you can retrieve lost posts and occasionally lost blogs, but I haven't yet found anything that helps my situation. I have just decided to move on. I now have a new blog and gmail account all tied together and I don't plan on changing a thing for a long time. And, to be honest, our blog is a little redundant since I scrapbook all of our kids' pictures and stories. The parts I will miss most will be my writing and things like my birthday letter to my Grandma. So, I suppose you should be warned: Be prepared for more sappy stories in the future!

And, for anyone who didn't have a chance to read my last post on the deleted blog, Mike and I are in the process of switching things over to a new-to-me computer. This one is just barely limping along and I can no longer download photos. So, for a little while, I'm not sure how much posting I'll be doing. But we will, obviously, be back. ;)

Comments

  1. Oh my! I am sure you wanted to bawl like a baby. I am glad you started up a new blog though. I really enjoy coming here. I love all of your posts.

    Oh, and I am very curious about your scrap booking...what your pages look like...you use stamps, right? Maybe one of these days you can show us a glimpse into your albums or show us a few of your layouts. Just a suggestion. No pressure.

    :) :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment