Friends, the Fourth and Food!

And what could be better than that? 
We got to the campground late Friday June 30th (I'm a little behind on my post!) and got to bed as soon as possible. Have I mentioned how much we love having our camper with our own beds in it?

Mike wanted to be in North Carolina for the 4th of July Holiday. He also had some meetings set up for Monday so this was definitely a work trip. I guess that's our biggest news: Mike already has work in North Carolina! I guess we're pretty sure about this big move now! 

We took Saturday morning to get some work done around the camper and run to Wal-Mart to pick up groceries. We were out around lunch time so we thought we'd just pick up something quick. Fred Chason's Grandson's Buffet kept coming up in our searches and there's one right near the Wal-Mart, so off we went. And it did not disappoint! I tried to be smart (buffets are not my favorite place) but I left so full I wasn't hungry for at least a day. And this is one buffet I will return to! We enjoyed it so much I almost forgot to get a picture, so this one is everyone feeling a little put out that I had them look and smile. 

That night we went to our friends' house east of us about an hour. What fun! It was so great to finally visit them at their house and meet their farm animals. We met up with them last year when we first went to Raleigh. You can read about that trip here.  I had the privilege to design the logo for their mini farm last year also. You can see it on their blog, which you should definitely follow! Of course, I was having such a good time catching up with Stacey and meeting some of her friends that I forgot to take very many pictures! I love that of the two I did get of our kids together Stacey and her husband Lucas are each photobombing in the background.

After dinner when we finally got all the kids out of the pool they set off their own little fireworks show which was another highlight of the evening.


The next morning found us up bright and early for church. The kids seem really excited about their new church friends. Afterwards we stumbled on this adorable diner, Gypsy's Shiny Diner. I seriously can not wait to go back there, either!


I wanted to also tell you about the campground we've been staying at this summer. Since we've been leaving our camper in NC when we head back up to Ohio we needed to find a place that lets us leave it there long-term. We haven't found very many (nice ones) in the Raleigh area that fit that need so we've found ourselves southwest of Raleigh a bit in the Selma/Smithfield area. We weren't sure what to think at first and it has definitely been inconvenient to be so far from the area we eventually want to call home. But as we left this last time, Mike and I were talking about how much that place now feels like a home away from home. It has really worked out. And the people there have taken really good care of us. We would highly recommend staying there if you're ever in the area.

And they have chickens! So you can have fresh eggs every day - if your friend with the mini farm doesn't give you some first!


The 4th of July dawned hot, humid and sunny - just how we like it if I'm being honest. Mike found Rise Biscuits and Donuts in Holly Springs so we stopped there for breakfast on our way to Apex. Biscuits? And Donuts? And cheesy hashbrowns? Um, yes please! The kids loved watching them make the donuts through the porthole window, too. 




Our favorite little bakery was closed during the parade. :( Although after breakfast at Rise it was probably for the better!

The main event in Apex on the 4th of July is the Parade of Wheels where kids get to decorate their bikes and scooters and ride down Salem Street. Afterwards, the fire department does a splashdown, spraying water from the top of the ladder allowing everyone to cool off. What a fun little town tradition! There had to be 500 kids on bikes and scooters, it was pretty amazing!



Check back next week! I'm still working on that Q&A post!


Comments