Memorial Day Hike

We are so thankful to live in this country. We are especially thankful for all the people who have sacrificed so much for our liberty. Our hope and prayer is that we don't take this freedom for granted and live our lives like what we have is just a given; it's not. It's a blessing.
It was also quite a blessing to have Mike home with us for a whole day and not have too much planned. We decided to head up to the Gorge and take a hike with the kids. We haven't been there since Corban was almost two-years old. My parents often used to take my brother and me there when we were younger, but we live further away now, so we don't get there too often. Plus, having very young kids the last few years has made hiking a bit more of a challenge. Today was a lot of fun, but also a little crazy, as are most things we try to do together. Sydney had a tendency to have no idea where she was and how close to the edge she often was, so Mike and I spent most of the time with a vice-grip on her and Jared's hands and carrying them a lot.
Here we are at the Mary Campbell cave:
I am usually behind the camera so I love that Mike took some pictures of the kids and I together.
There are giant rocks all over which make for lots of fun photo opportunities and climbing opportunities for the kids. I took over 200 photos today, so to narrow it down was very hard.
As always, there is never a dull moment with Sydney around. She likes to keep things interesting. When Corban reached down to touch some water, I figured Sydney would like to touch it also. No. She stomped her foot in it. When the kids were carefully looking around at different rock formations and watching all the chipmunks, Sydney was digging in the dirt. On our way out after I had told Sydney a million times not to pick things up, dig in dirt and touch all the green plants, she brought something over for me to see. It wasn't until she fully opened her hand that I realized she had picked up a piece of glass. That's Sydney! What would we do without her?!

Comments